Group Health Commute Challenge Prizes!
For a complete list of winners and final stats please visit the Rankings pages on this website; you can sort out all categories by clicking on that column heading. The list below only represents a few of the top teams for our amazing list of over 650 teams and 500 solo riders. In most instances, we pick a winner from each category plus a runner up. In the case of multiple winners we pick a name from a hat. If a team has already won a category, that team will only get an honorable mention if they also win a second or third category. All winners named below will receive a GHCC certificate and prize package via USPS. Honorable mentions will only receive a certificate. Team of individuals made up from different workplaces, clubs, etc were not eligible to win categories but do get honorable mentions.
Note: If we missed your team please email us with any suggested corrections.
Group Health Commute Challenge Random Drawings
5 & under person teams: Verdiem - Verdiem Corporation, 4 riders
Favorite Team Name- (as voted by participants on the website)
Look! No hands!
Top name as picked by staff:
Winner: Weapons of Ass Destruction
Impatient Psycle Unit
Group Health Commute Challenge Team Prizes End of Month Grand Awards
1) Most New Bike Commuter Trips for one team
1) Team SCHARP - SCHARP, 88.0 trips
International Christian Cycling Club - International Christian Cycling Club, 109.0 trips
2) Highest % of New bike commuters on one team
• Teams of 5 or less
1) MORE FIFTY-FOUR FORTY-FIVES - NBBJ 5/5
• Teams of 6 or more
1) BicyclonVia - Onvia 10/10
3) Most total bike trips for one team
1) Team Ocean Motion - University of Washington School of Oceanograhy, 193.0 trips
4) Highest average trips per rider for one team
1) EZ Riders Honeywell, 21.2 trips
1) Team Ocean Motion - University of Washington School of Oceanograhy, 19.3 trips
5) Most total miles for one team
1) Squadra Ophidian - Group Health Cooperative - AOC, 6700.4 miles
We decided to award both top teams with a first place award.
6) Highest monthly average miles per rider (4-10 person team)
1) Norfolk And Chance Cycling Team - Microsoft Corporation, 423 miles
1) Squadra Ophidian - Group Health Cooperative, 670.04 miles
7) Most teams in one workplace or organization
(Certificates will be mailed to CTR department)
University of Washington 61 teams
8) Most riders in any organization
a) Businesses of 50
1) Bainbridge High School, 27 riders
b) Businesses of 50 - 100
1) Safeco Insurance Companies 25 riders
c) Businesses of 100+
1) Microsoft 219 Riders
University of Washington, 421 riders
Highest % of riders in one workplace
Businesses of over 100:
Mithun Architecture; 36.92% of all workers rode!
(a total of 72 riders on 9 Mithun teams)
So many people have given incorrect counts of total employees in their organization that we could not sort out all the winners. Please email us with your % number of riders of your workplace if it's over the following: Under 50, 50% or higher, 50-100, 30% or higher, over 100, 20% or higher. You must include all employees, not just the ones who work in your building, department or division, thanks!
9) Captain of the Year award: Who did the most to get their co-workers inspired?
1) Cliff Church, NOAA Fisheries; Cliff has been a founding participant of the GHCC and has built up the program from one team and 5 riders to about eight teams and 70 riders in three years. It's people like Cliff that make this event so special!
2) Amy Martin, ColdHeat; Amy led her team by example and offered much support and assistance to her co-workers, including route tips, safety and bike checks.
Tim Beigle of O Dog and the Novara Nine, (REI), & Katrina Paradine of Squadra Ophidian, (Group Health Cooperative); These two warriors led their respective teams to record setting numbers in every category this year! Congrats to both.
Jon White of the Area Bicycle Team, Microsoft; Jon showed tremendous enthusiasm and support for his teammates which including his own motivational e-newsletters.
Individual Rider prizes
1) Most trips total by new bike commuter
1) Tom Johnson - Microsoft Corporation, 23.0 (293 miles)
2) Most overall total miles.
1) Martin Senkyrik Myrio - A Siemens company, 1220.0 miles
3) Highest average trip length (12 or more trips)
1) Bruce C. Odegaard - Food Products Association, 88 miles/trip
- Martin Senkyrik Myrio - A Siemens company 61 miles/trip
4) Most total trips.
1) Jeffrey Stamerjohn - Microsoft Corporation 23.0 trips (874 miles)
- Benita Veskimets Four Legs Good Pet Shop 23.0 trips (355.0 miles)
5) Top overall ranked female "Individual rider"
1) Debbie Monaghan-Guerrero - Clover Park School District 22 trips, 1002.5 miles
For more detailed information about the Group Health Commute Challenge, click here.
If you are new to bicycle commuting, please visit our resources page for great tips on getting started.