Cascade's Summer Bike League
Nearly every day we hear a story in the news about rising gas prices, the increased cost of groceries, global warming, local traffic congestion or obesity rates. Can bicycling solve all these issues? Probably not, but using your bicycle instead of your car can nibble away at these problems. And together, we can take a bite out of them!
Cascade's Summer Bike League allows you to measure your impact throughout the summer. Unlike the Group Health Commute Challenge which tracks only bike to work trips, all miles can be logged this summer, including fitness/fun rides, trips to do errands and rides to and from your office or school.
So give your car the summer off and give your bike a spin instead. Join Cascade's Summer Bike League!
- Track your miles for:
- Errands Did you know that more than 40% of US car trips are made within 2-miles of our residence? Crazy but true. Shop by bike, go to a baseball game, take your sweetie to a show, pick-up new bike parts, drop junior off at day-care, visit your Pea Patch, etc.
- Fitness/Fun: This category is to record the miles you devote to pleasure and training riding. Granted, every time you swing a leg over your bike it's a total delight and a work-out, but we want to separate different types of trips to show you how you can count on your bike for different uses in your life.
- Bike to Work and School: Cascade Bicycle Club wants you to continue racking up the trips you make to work by bike and school. The more you do it, the easier it gets. You may surprise yourself and continue bike commuting on a year-round basis. We'll also be keeping track of which companies are performing "beyond expectations." Your data allows us to share results with corporate transportation departments to advocate for better bicycling facilities at your worksites.
- Summer Bike League Special Events
- Join us for a refreshing mid-ride beverage at "Summer Bike League Pit Stops" situated around the region. Participants will be eligible for monthly prize drawings.
- A monthly newsletter will be emailed to all participants with tips, tricks and inspiring stories of "League" riders and the changes bikes have made in their lives.